Playground Stage Children’s Theatre is hiring Lead Teaching Artists for our 2021 Fall classes in and around Asheville NC. Lead Teaching Artists will teach Musical Theatre Skills and Mini-Musical class after-school at our Buncombe County School Partner Schools.
About Playground Stage
Playground Stage is a non- profit 501(c)(3) Children’s Theatre based in Buncombe County and Asheville NC. Our mission is to empower and nurture children to learn 21st century skills using hands on theatre education. Playground Stage specializes in teaching children in Kindergarten-6th grade. We believe in paying a competitive wage to our highly skilled and educated team members and promoting appropriate work/creative/life balance for our employees. We ask that our staff provide superior theatre arts educational experience to our students and create a learning environment where the whole child is nurtured mentally, creatively, and emotionally. We are a growing children’s theatre and we want to build our team with a diverse group of artists that reflect and care deeply about the community we serve. During Covid-19 we have been operating on a skeleton staff and as community spread lessens we will be ramping up our programs again allowing for more opportunities as a Playground Stage Teaching Artist.
Location: Buncombe County Schools
K-2nd Grade Musical Theatre
Teaching Artist Required Hours – 2:00pm-4:00pm
3rd-5th Grade Mini-Musical
Teaching Artist Required Hours – 2:00pm-4:30pm
Essential Requirements for a Teaching Artist
· Must have studied or are currently studying a theatre art form at a higher education institute or professional theatre internships or professional theatrical work experience.
· Must enjoy working with children in grades K-6th
· Must pass a fingerprinting and background check before the start of class
· Must attend teaching artist training before the start of class
· Must have a can-do, go with the flow, upbeat attitude
· Must provide 2 professional references
· Must be able to arrive to class 45 minutes before and leave after all children have been picked up (usually 15 minutes after the end of class)
· Must be vaccinated against Covid-19 and wear a mask while children are present
· $65-$100/class depending on experience – opportunity to teach multiple classes a week
· Teaching Artists will be employed as W2 employees
· Opportunity to develop and teach classes as a Lead Teacher at Playground Stage
· Each teaching artist receives a stipend for training and professional development opportunities each semester
· Teaching Artists will receive CPR and First Aid training
To apply – email a cover letter and either a theatre resume, theatre education resume or list of related theatre education experience to Executive Director Leslie Putnam at email@example.com. Resumes are being accepted on a rolling basis, we always are planning our next season!