Playground Stage Children’s Theatre is hiring a Summer College Teaching Artist for our 2021 Summer Camp in South Asheville NC. Camp is held weekdays M-F at Avery's Creek Community Center. 899 Glenn Bridge Rd SE, Arden NC
Required dates and times
Camp Prep Days: Thursday June 17th 12:00-5:00 & Friday June 18th 12:00-5:00pm
Summer Camp Session 1: Monday June 21st –Friday June 25th 8:15am-4:45pm
Summer Camp Session 2: Monday June 28th-Friday July 2nd 8:15am-4:45pm
Summer Camp Session 3: (Two weeks) Monday July 5- Friday July 16th 8:15am-4:45pm
About Playground Stage
Playground Stage is a non- profit 501(c)(3) Children’s Theatre based in Buncombe County NC. Our mission is to empower and nurture children to learn 21st century skills using hands on theatre. Playground Stage specializes in teaching children in Kindergarten-6th grade.
About the Position
Our Summer Camp provides children with the opportunity to try out every aspect of theatre. Campers will act, sing, and dance in a musical, design the scenery and props, create costumes, learn how to run a box office, and put it all together for a final show at the end of each camp session. Our Teaching Artists lead our campers in all of these activities. A College Teaching Artist should have well-rounded knowledge of both onstage and backstage theatre arts. College Teaching Artists will assist an experienced Lead Teaching Artist with a cast of 15-20 children in a short, age appropriate musical in our 1-2 week long summer day camps. Lead Teaching Artists provide coaching to our College Teaching Artists in teaching pedagogy as well as age appropriate stage direction and choreography.
Essentials for a College Teaching Artist
· Enrolled or recently graduated from a higher education institute studying theatre arts or education with collegiate theatre experience.
· Experience or willingness to learn how to lead a large group of elementary aged children.
· Pass a fingerprinting and background check before the start of camp.
· Attend teaching artist training before the start of camp.
· A can-do, go with the flow, upbeat attitude.
· Ability to be physically and mentally active for up to 9 hours.
· Must be local to Western NC for the duration of camp, housing is not provided.
· Interest in Children’s Theatre and Theatre Education.
· $500/week based on Monday-Friday 8:15am-4:45pm with 30 min break
· $100/day for Camp Prep Days
· College Teaching Artist will assist Lead Teaching Artists with directing, choreographing, back-stage duties, theatre crafts, lunch & snack time, and other camp activities.
· College Teaching Artists will be employed as W2 employees.
· College Teaching Artists will be encouraged to set professional goals and gain experience in an artistic area of choice as it pertains to children’s theatre.
· Each College Teaching Artist will gain skills in classroom management, teaching pedagogy, and theatrical direction or choreography for children.